Wednesday, April 22, 2009

I Will Miss This View

As the move approaches, I realize more and more how much I love the view from this place. I can always count on something interesting to happen each week. Today was no exception. I heard one of the trains blowing its whistle like there was no tomorrow. I decided to go and see if someone was stuck on the tracks at the crossing or something to cause such a ruckus. When I looked, there were people all over by the tracks and many police cars, but the train was just a normal Amtrak commuter line pulling out. I did not see what the fuss was all about. Then I realized how many cameras were out, and of course, I turned toward the very morbid possibility that someone was hit on the tracks by the station. It has happened before here, so I was concerned and hoped for the best. Then I heard a very distinct noise, that of a steam engine whistle. There was a special train passing through the area that is the last steam engine purchased by Union Pacific. For more information you can check out the website about the train. Here are a few pictures I took out the window as it passed by the building:







While I have grown rather tired of all the train noises as of late, this one was a welcomed change. It was neat to see this old locomotive roll past and look at all the shiny cars from days gone by zip past the building. I will miss this view and all the wacky things I have seen, both good and bad, out these windows. From zeppelins passing by to breath taking sunsets and fingerlings of fog, they will truly be missed. I do think though that it is time for change and... a little more quiet at night being a bit further away from the rumbling freights.

No comments: